Nestled among majestic western redcedars and Douglas firs along picturesque Johnson Creek, Leach Botanical Garden is a 16+ acre not- for- profit botanic and cultural garden that opened to the public in 1981. Home to northwest native plants and other special collections from temperate areas across the globe, Leach Garden connects people, plants and place through discovery and delight. Inspired by founders, John and Lilla Leach, the garden offers opportunities for engaged learning in horticulture, natural sciences, and conservation. It provides a respite from urban life and offers welcoming venues for cultural events and other celebrations. The first phase of a transformative garden design including an aerial tree walk, pollinator and habitat gardens, fireside terrace, and gathering green, will be complete in November, 2020. The continued growth and enhancement of the garden will facilitate its role as a vital resource to the local multi-cultural community and establish Leach as a regional destination. Leach Botanical Garden is owned by Portland Parks & Recreation and managed by Leach Garden Friends.
The Executive Director position is an exceptional opportunity for an inspiring and collaborative leader with outstanding communication and relationship building skills to realize the bold vision of the Leach strategic plan. A visionary with a passion for the Garden and a commitment to its mission and values is required to engage and inspire key stakeholders, including a diverse local community, staff, partner organizations, and the general public. A key challenge is the implementation of the second phase of the Leach Garden Master Plan and associated capital campaign. Demonstrated success in organizational leadership in botanical gardens or related environments and strong financial acumen are critical. A charismatic leader adept at building strong relationships and a shared vision is needed to strategically guide the garden to its goal as a botanical and cultural treasure and exceptional destination. As an employee of Leach garden Friends, the Executive Director reports to and is supported by the LGF Board of Directors.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Build a culture of collaboration and communication across all functions and align the team around a shared vision for the Garden.
- Responsible for hiring, development, mentorship, and retention of qualified and engaged staff.
- Direct strategic and operational planning: manage and oversee annual budgets and direct the organization’s operational and fiscal function and performance.
- Ensure that Leach Garden engages in a wide variety of communication strategies targeted to effectively reach different audiences.
- Work with Portland Parks & Rec and the design team to complete design development and construction documents for 2nd phase of the Master Plan
- Initiate and manage 2nd phase of the Leach Capital Campaign including directly soliciting individuals, companies, foundations and government sources.
- Implement a fee-based admission policy that includes access to underserved populations.
- Communicate regularly with the Board, providing in a timely manner all information necessary for it to function effectively.
- Proactively assist with board development: recommending potential board members and assisting with the orientation and education of board members to build their knowledge, commitment and skills.
- Collaborate with Portland Parks & Recreation and other partner organizations and cultivate new partnerships that support our mission.
- Work with cultural community leaders to develop strategies to expand the diversity of those engaged with the Garden
BS or BA with minimum of 5-7 years of experience in organizational leadership in botanical gardens or related environments. Master’s degree in a relevant field is preferred.
Excellent communicator & listener
Passion for the Garden and its mission
Leader / Visionary
Proven fundraising skills
Strategic Motivating and inspirational to staff and others
Full-time salaried position; compensation based on qualifications and experience. Acceptance and review of applications will continue until the position is filled. The first review date is scheduled for October 15, 2020. Submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com. www.leachgarden.org