Portland Youth Philharmonic (PYP), America’s first youth orchestra, seeks an organized, energetic, and talented professional to join our team as Office Administrator & Box Office Manager. This position is a fantastic opportunity for someone to gain a variety of experiences working in a nonprofit arts organization. The Office Administrator & Box Office Manager is a critical member of the PYP team, as they support all facets of the organization and is frequently the first person from PYP that the public interacts with.
The Office Administrator & Box Office Manager maintains a functional physical and digital office environment, manages all things ticket sales related, oversees the enrollment and tuition payment process, conducts administrative tasks, assists staff as needed, and communicates with parents and the public on matters relating to the organization.
PRIMARY TASKS AND AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Customer Service: meet clients’ needs while maintaining the distinguished reputation of the organization;
- Office Operations: process incoming and outgoing mail, order office supplies, maintain a functional office environment, monitor and resupply electronic equipment (copier, postage meter, etc.), serve as liaison with office building management;
- Box Office Management: take ticket orders via phone, record and process payments, mail tickets, manage subscription renewals, prepare will call tickets and staff the will call table (including recruiting volunteers as needed), set up events in ticketing system, set up subscription packages in ticketing system, generate reports, and track sales and attendance; serve as the Box Office Manager at all ticketed PYP events, setting up the mobile box office at each venue and selling tickets;
- Event Support & Front of House Management: assist with concert preparation, provide administrative support at concerts and events, secure volunteers to serve as ushers or box office personnel;
- Database Management: be the resident expert on PYP’s database system, PatronManager (built on Salesforce); manage the student enrollment process and its integration in the database, enter and update contact information, run reports, generate email lists, enter donations into the database and accounting software, set up acknowledgement letters, track Friends of PYP donor levels, assist various departments with setting up reports and dashboards, reconcile information between PatronManager and QuickBooks Online;
- Bookkeeping: support the Business Manager with accounts payable and receivable;
- Volunteer Coordination: secure volunteers for various tasks as needed
- Program and Newsletter Production: compile content for monthly newsletters and program books, assist with distribution, and produce in-house materials;
- Communication: email, phone, and mail communication with staff, parents, board members, volunteers, alumni, music teachers, friends of the organization, and members of the general public, assist the Marketing & Communications Director with updating the website;
- Merchandise: sell merchandise when necessary, track merchandise inventory, manage online store;
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Very organized with the ability to juggle multiple projects and deadlines; good time management skills are essential; project management experience preferred
- Experience in customer service and/or sales; ability to engage with parents, volunteers, donors, and patrons from a variety of backgrounds in a variety of settings.
- The ability to maintain an upbeat, positive attitude when facing problems; creativity in finding solutions;
- Collaborative nature and excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work with a variety of personalities to accomplish projects as a team, while also being self-motivated and independent
- Excellent writing and proof-reading skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and Teams
- Experience with design software, such as Adobe InDesign and Photoshop, is beneficial
- Willingness to learn other computer applications proficiently
- Experience with ticketing software and box office procedures is beneficial
- Experience with Salesforce (or PatronManager) is beneficial
- Basic money handling knowledge; experience with bookkeeping and QuickBooks Online is a plus
- General knowledge of and/or enthusiasm for orchestral music, youth music education, and the performing arts
- Availability on select weekends and evenings during concerts and special events; office hours are 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Our annual Concert-at-Christmas on December 26 from 2:00-10:30 PM is a requirement for this position.
- Valid driver license
Working conditions & accessibility: The Office Administrator & Box Office Manager primarily works in the office while sitting at a desk, though has flexibility to work some days at home, during standard business hours. This position attends most PYP concerts and special events (evenings and weekends), and occasionally attends local networking or civic events in the community as a representative of PYP. Must be able to lift approximately 25 pounds, and transport items such as boxes, packages of food, tables, or chairs over a short distance. PYP’s office is business casual and dog friendly. Our office is ADA accessible and on the ground floor. We are located on SW Barbur Blvd right on the #12 bus line. Ample free parking is available on site.
Salary & Benefits: This position is hourly non-exempt at a rate of $20.00 an hour. As a full-time employee, the Office Administrator & Box Office Manager is eligible to accrue sick time and up to ten (10) days of paid vacation per year, and, after 30 days of employment, can enroll in PYP’s health, vision, and dental insurance plans and participate in PYP’s 401(k) plan.
ABOUT PORTLAND YOUTH PHILHARMONIC
PYP, founded in 1924, consists of four large ensembles: String Ensemble for string musicians, Wind Ensemble for wind, brass, and percussion players, Percussion Ensemble, Conservatory Orchestra for intermediate players, and the Portland Youth Philharmonic, or the Philharmonic Orchestra (PYP), for the most advanced students. Camerata PYP is a chamber orchestra comprised of PYP musicians concurrently enrolled in one of the other large ensembles. PYP also incorporates music theory instruction into rehearsals, has a chamber music program, free bass classes and wind/brass workshops open to the public, a coaching program for low-income middle school band programs, a Peer Mentor program offering low-cost private lessons, and master classes. The Philharmonic Orchestra annually performs a series of four concerts at the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall; all ensembles perform concerts throughout the season at venues in Portland and Vancouver. Learn more about PYP at portlandyouthphil.org.
PYP requires its musicians, staff, contractors, and volunteers to be fully vaccinated.
Please email a cover letter and resume (both PDF format) to PYPjobs@portlandyouthphil.org with “Application – PYP Office Administrator” in the subject line. As there is a lot of writing and public communication in this position, a cover letter is required and will be considered a writing sample. No phone calls please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
PYP is committed to recruiting and retaining diverse staff, faculty, and musicians. We seek candidates whose work furthers diversity and who bring to PYP varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds.
Portland Youth Philharmonic is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its hiring and employment practices against any applicant because of gender, color, creed, age, national origin, religion, political affiliation, marital status, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.
PYP is committed to being a welcoming and safe community for young musicians and their families of all cultures, races, religions, genders, sexual orientations, and circumstances.